February 04, 2003
Natural's Not In It
Something strange is going on when, in the course of two weeks, I find myself:
- Choosing to listen to old OMD, Gang of Four and Orange Juice records in lieu of anything new I've recently downloaded/purchased. (No iPod. And only vinyl.)
- Feeling depressed, not proud, when someone comments yet again on the size of my record collection. (Because it is a Ball and Chain! And I do not want to contemplate the number of cubic feet or pounds or whatever the records collectively inhabit.)
- Realizing that the last band I'd seen was Interpol, performing at NBC Studios on the Carson Daly show. (Not even at a rock club! And only two songs' worth.)
- Going out on not one, but two different nights to hear and see DJs spinning decidedly un-rock tunes. (According to Matos, I "danced pretty much the entire fucking time" during Luomo's set. And I did!)
- Hearing not one, not two, but three different versions of the new Shania Twain single. In a carful of people who collectively agreed to do just that. (Listening experiment, people. And I didn't mind it, really.)
We will return you to your regularly scheduled insanity once I've gotten my Rock Pants back on with some live D Plan, Enon and J. Loew all in the next few days.
Posted by nstop at February 04, 2003 07:33 AM
If I lived in NYC and wanted to wear my rock pants out this Friday night, I'd plan to see Oranger with Apples In Stereo at Bowery Ballroom.
you have to get out, you are now my link to NYC nightlife! Although, it does take money doesn't it? Argh!
i was in the gap yesterday (buying some new rock pants) and heard that shania twain single--i had to ask to find out what it was because it was SO DAMN CATCHY. who knew?
dude, i thought you died. good to see yer alive.
I'm moving this month, and I am totally not looking forward to moving "the collection". It's painful just finding enough boxes!
Oh, Gang of Four is a band... I need to stop programming and start listening to more music :-)